German Embassy in Tokyo
April 24th, 2008
Title: A German Perspective on M&A in Japan
- The background, the drivers:
- High Euro, low valuations in Japan
- Globalization, must have critical size
- Europe’s business is under-developed in Japan
- The Landscape:
- M&A is generally at lower levels than in UK/US
- recently M&A transactions are rising:
- Types of M&A:
- strategic vs financial
- friendly vs hostile
- M&A: the process
- Finding the target: “why should I pay for that?”
- The deal: in Japan money often not always win!
- Due diligence: often overlooked in Japan – especially by foreign companies!
- Post-merger: culture is really difficult, must do your homework to succeed!